Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm a what???

Well it looks like I ran afoul of the law this past weekend. We went out for a late drive heading north and it ended up taking us all the way to Middlesborough, Kentucky with a sliver of Virginia thrown in for good measure. In doing this we passed through the Cumberland Gap Tunnel. Heading into the tunnel we saw someone being pulled over coming out and I made some joke about it. On our return trip through the tunnel a friend riding with me extended his hand from the vehicle to take a picture. Upon exiting the tunnel I noticed a law enforcement vehicle sitting in the median and remarked they seem to be out thick tonight. That's when the lights came on and we pulled off the road. The officer approached and I rolled down the passenger window to speak with him. He asked if we had been brandishing a weapon in the tunnel as "they", I can allow assume "they" were watching cameras, had noticed a red light and a "device" being held out the window. We explained it was only a camera and showed him the picture that was taken. He took our ID's, my car registration and proof of insurance back to his car to check us out. When he returned them he explained we shouldn't be taking pictures because of the current threat of the big T ( I don't want to type the whole word you never know who's watching!). I have no idea what to make of this, and don't want to make too much out of it on the web lest the Men In Black come and spirit me away. All I can take away from all this is that America is incredibly paranoid, you can say what you want about protecting this and that but taking pictures as you drive? Come on, if we had stopped and taken pictures of specific things, I don't know something more than going 45 mph and photographing the road directly ahead, in a small town, hmmm, I just don't know. No pictures to post, if I did then they would be coming after me.

2 comments:

overtly trite said...

if you wacth bin laden's last video he mentions Middlesborough KY
:)

Randall said...

In the trickle-down application of "security theory," there are those who are always going to be in "code orange."

Did you mention that you are former army? That should still carry some clout with some of those folks.