Friday, January 19, 2007

Day two NAMM

Well this is the beginning of the day for a change. Yesterday was long, but I saw a lot of old friends on the show floor. Never realized before how long I've been on the user side of things in this business, and more than that how different what I do as a post for television engineer is from that of a music engineer. Audibility is one of my major concerns, less that of fidelity many times. Not that I don't care but with the material given sometimes it can't happen. My job is often more salvage as opposed to creation. I have what has come in from the field and that needs to work with any music, effects, and narration that are added during the editorial process. Car noise, city sounds, and everything else in life that we don't think about makes noise and when you "flatten" that out by recording it voice often gets lost and voice is king in the reality TV world. There aren't any over dubs or voice replacement in reality TV either. That being said I still like going to the shows and talking the talk. All the new speakers, like those Focal speakers (pronounced "faux" Cal from what I understandd) we are using in the booth and all the new soft synths, compressor and eq flavors coming from every directions it's like being a kid in a candy store. And those are just the beginning there are also instruments and celebrities.

Last night we went to an eatery called Anita's, WOW! It's a southwestern place and I forget year to year that it's as good as it is, Santa Fe enchiladas with a fried egg on top and pork adovada inside, mmmm.

No comments: