Sunday, July 22, 2007

More on the end of things.



If you read the last post you can probably guess that I love those post apocalyptic and disaster type of movies, books, comics, whatever, but I have to say that Cormac McCarthy has written one that stands out in a very crowded genre, "The Road". It is literature, it is eloquent in its stark portrayal of the end, in a world stripped bare and burnt, the characters even lack names. How did the end come about? We as the readers aren't given that info in its complete state, I don't know if the characters know for certain what's transpired. It doesn't matter, the story is the father, his son and their struggle to survive. It won a Pulitzer Prize this year, read it if you dare. This story doesn't pull any punches and I have to be honest that made me love it, but other people I know have said it made them feel sad for days. Just like that first time I saw "The Day After" it served as a stark reminder that those apocalypse scenarios are not the rollicking shoot'em up and it'll be ok later we've seen in some movies. Not that I don't love those as well, but sometimes its good to reminded of the reality and consequences of the actions that we as a species commit have on the world around us.

Whew! Literature and social consciousness in one post, way too heavy. I can't wait to head to DragonCon and lighten up some.

1 comment:

Randall said...

Yep, "The Road" blew me away, too. Uncompromising.