Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The rockets red glare


Those words took on a new meaning this evening. On the way home from a cookout with friends my ride began to feel like a night flight over Baghdad in the early days of desert storm. It started on Cedar Lane headed toward Merchants Road when quite literally I was the target of a barrage of some type of fireworks rockets. I couldn't tell if it was a couple of kids shooting bottle rockets at the same time or one of those little boxes that shoots multiple rockets, but when one of them hit the front fender just in front of the driver's side door, I let out quite a few expletives that I'll leave out of the post here, and it didn't end there, a second barrage went off near the railroad tracks on Merchants (right next to the Weigels) I think it came from the driveway to my immediate rear. To finish it off a really big rocket came screaming across the South Knoxville connector in front of myself and several other cars.

I guess I remember doing stupid things when I was a teenager, and in recent years fireworks seem so much more prevalent, meaning more people who have no business shooting them are, as well as letting their kids (read way to young to have explosives of any type) play with them. This year seems especially perilous with the extra dry weather we've had, thank goodness I'm not a fireman. Well that little slice of "drama" is over, and I guess it made the ride home interesting at least.

3 comments:

Denver Obsession said...

Hells bells -- That's CRAZY!


I'm just glad we limited our 'fireworks' to sparkers! :)

rexpete said...

It was an evening full of odd craziness, from that phone call Jim got to this stuff.

Randall said...

Hmmm ... I called Jim, but I don't think I was odd & crazy about it. Glad you made it home through all the flak.